In order to ensure it runs at peak performance, most people know that maintenance is necessary to perform on your HVAC system. To contribute to the overall function of your system, professional services and your own diligent care is essential. Routinely change your air filter is one of the many mundane maintenance tasks you need to do. Though this seems miniscule, neglecting the air filters can cause extreme consequences. If you are not diligent with changing your air filters regularly, there is a negative impact your HVAC system and home can face, and this is what we at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning would like to discuss today.
Can You Get Sick from a Dirty Air Filter? Does it Affect AC Performance?
1) Increase Allergies. In addition to air filters collecting dust, they trap other substances including common allergens including pet dander, fur, pollens, dust mites, and other such particles that trigger allergy symptoms. By regularly changing air filters, those that suffer from frequent allergies, asthma attacks, or respiratory problems can find some relief.
2) Inefficient HVAC System. As the system is trying to compensate for the dirty filters, forcing everything to work harder, it is costing you more in operating costs, which is especially counterintuitive if you put off replacing the filters in an effort to save costs. The compact debris is still restricting airflow, making the system perform poorly even if the buildup is not resulting in frozen coils as well. Often a major sign of inefficiency includes cold and hot spots.
3) Frozen AC Coils. While still retaining the debris that is floating in the air, the filters are designed to allow airflow. The airflow is restricted as the air filter buildup, however. The coils are unable to adequately perform their function, in so doing, the coils will freeze up without proper airflow. Your home will not be cooled if the air coils are not functioning.
4) Excessive Wear and Tear Put on the HVAC System. After a while, the dust and debris that is trapped on your air filter will not be able to collect any more. As a result, the particles that should have been accumulated on the filter will begin settling everywhere else including on the components of your HVAC system. The grit only causes more wear as the filth penetrates into the moving parts and the lubricant dries out. You can minimize this by keeping the air filters routinely changed.
5) Short Cycling Air Conditioner. When it is needed, your air conditioner will cycle on and off throughout the day. The dirty air filters influence the air conditioner to cause the cycling to occur far more frequently than needed, however. Short cycling causes wasted energy you paid for, uncomfortable conditions in the home, and additional pollution. Especially in homes where there are multiple residents, pets, and smokers, air filters should be checked once a month. Depending on your air filter, more often than not, these air filters will need to be changed or cleaned.
Central Air Conditioning Diagnosis, Repair, Replacement, Maintenance & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Centennial, Enterprise, Lone Mountain Village, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Peccole Ranch, Silverado Ranch, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Contact the pros of Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning today and let our experts do the rest if you are do for maintenance or in need of routine HVAC system services.