Living in Las Vegas means you don’t need to run your furnace as much as those living in other parts of the country. But that doesn’t mean you should neglect it and the time will come when it will need to be replaced; even if it hasn’t broken down on you. Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning will outline some of the tell-tale signs you need a new furnace below.
Do I Need a New Furnace
1. Furnace is over 15 years in age. The average life expectancy of a gas furnace is 18 years. But you should replace it if it’s over 15 years old with an ENERGY STAR rated furnace that is 15% more efficient than other furnaces you can buy. You can find out how much money you can save by looking at AFUE ratings that measure energy efficiency of furnaces.
2. Increased heating bills. There are a few reasons that your heating bill might be on the rise. However, if you have been doing regular maintenance every year and your air ducts are sealed correctly, your energy bill should not be increasing dramatically. Utility bills will increase when internal parts breakdown. This indicates a furnace that is on its last legs.
3. Frequent furnace repairs within the past two years. Furnaces will be repaired more often in the last two years of their life. Like car repairs, the time will come when too many of them isn’t worth the cost to keep it running. The same goes for your furnace. The cost of these repairs usually makes it more cost effective to buy a new one.
4. Furnace is making odd noises. Older furnaces will start to make strange sounds as they reach the end of their lifespan. If you hear rattling, popping or banging noises when you turn your furnace on you may need to replace it. Additionally, a blower that turns on and off frequently is another sign that it needs to be replaced.
5. Thermostat setting doesn’t keep you comfortable. Your furnace may not be able to distribute heat properly throughout your house if there is an issue with the thermostat or furnace. Contact an HVAC technician if you have rooms that are too hot or too cold or you find yourself adjusting the thermostat too much to stay comfortable.
6. Burner flame is yellow rather than blue. Your furnace may be producing carbon monoxide if the flame is yellow rather than blue. If it’s not, it’s a sign that the fuel isn’t burning as cleanly and efficiently as it’s supposed to. Leaking gas and/or carbon monoxide is a problem that needs immediate attention because carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is odorless, tasteless and colorless. Exposure can be deadly.
Central Heat Furnace HVAC Services in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
Some of these signs on their own may not be enough to convince you to replace your furnace. But the more signs there are, the more likely you are going to have to do it sooner than later to avoid being without heat when it’s cold outside. A new furnace needs to be installed properly to save you as much money as possible. Contact Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning today!