Winter is coming, and the temperatures will continue to drop. The busy holiday season makes it easy for us to lose track of how much heat we’re using. It’s important to heat your home in a way that is safe and to save as much money as possible.
5 Winter Heating Mistakes
1. Don’t keep thermostat at a constant temperature. Many homeowners leave the heat on all the time to keep their home warm while they are gone. This will just waste energy and money. Running the heat while no one is home is senseless. Just lower the temperature when you are out or when you go to bed. A few degrees will make a huge difference in your energy bills and won’t leave your freezing! You can even install a newer thermostat that can be programmed.
2. Not replacing door seals and weather stripping is a mistake. The doors to your home have weather-stripping on the bottom of them. It’s there to prevent air form escaping out of your home. You will need to replace it if you can see sunlight shining though the crack or if it becomes loose and gets jammed every time you open or close the door. Even a tiny opening will let air seep out, wasting energy and your money.
3. Don’t neglect chimney maintenance. Having a fireplace in your home during the winter is great. The only problem with them is that if they aren’t sealed correctly, warm air can escape through it. This can happen more is older home but should be checked each year before you start heating your home. It should be inspected and cleaned to ensure you won’t be losing the air you’re paying to heat.
4. Forgetting to change the furnace filter is an error. Changing the furnace filter isn’t on the top of your to-do list but it’s important to make sure its clean and to change it regularly. A dirty furnace filter makes it harder for your furnace to work and can keep particles and debris like pet dander, dust and mold spores out of your home. Consider purchasing a high-quality filter for the winter if you use the heating system a lot.
5. Turning off the ceiling fan in winter is a mistake. The ceiling fan in your home isn’t just helpful in the summer. In the summer they work to help cool your home down, in the winter they can help move warm air throughout your home. You will need to make sure the fan is rotating clockwise to push the warm air down from the ceiling to keep your home warm. This allows you to keep the temperature on the thermostat down.
HVAC Services in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
Avoid the heating mistakes that can waste energy and money. The expert technicians at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning can help. Even in Las Vegas, temperatures get low enough that you’ll want to make sure you heating system is working properly. It’s a good idea to schedule an appointment to have your HVAC system looked at before it gets too cold. Give us a call today!