The largest part of your utility bill comes from the heating system according to Energy Star. To help manage costs, everyone can do their due diligence to cut down on costs. What is completely untrue is when you hear you can conserve energy by closing the doors to rooms that don’t need to be heated, and one of the many misconceptions people apply to their home. We at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning would like to take the opportunity to list the top common mistakes made by homeowners as they warm their homes in an effort to help you avoid spending unnecessarily this coming cool season.
Why Does My House Cost So Much to Heat?
1) Thermostat Gets Cranked. There are no shortcuts, unfortunately, when it comes to your heater. Many people think to get to warmer quicker they need to crank the thermostat up, but since there is only one speed, this tactic will not work. Doing this will only make your heater work harder and increase your utility bill.
2) Improperly Sealed Home. As the cold air creeps in through the gaps in your windows and doors, or any other cracks and gaps, a strain is put on your heating system. In order to prevent the air from escaping or the cold air from infiltrating your home, be sure your weatherstripping, draft stoppers, fresh caulk, and other solutions are properly applied.
3) Using Alternative Heat Sources. If in the event heater in the event they do not feel warm air to the effect that is desired, many homeowners will turn to other sources of heat, such as your fireplace or space heater. We recommend you use them in conjunction with your heating system instead of relying on them completely to warm your entire house. Though they can be severe fire hazards, they become more expensive than operating your central heating system.
4) Keeping Doors and Vents Closed. Closing off doorways and vents to rooms that are unused seems to make perfect sense for most homeowners. On the contrary, however, this puts extra pressure on your system and obstructs airflow. It is in your better interest to leave them open in order to avoid a higher heating bill.
5) Inefficient Heating Schedules. When you allow your furnace to run at all times, you are wasting a lot of money. There are opportunities where you can give it a break to get a break on your utility bill. Set your programmable thermostat on a schedule that runs on a lower temperature when everyone is out of the house or sleeping. You can save you as much as 10% on your heating costs by modifying the right optimal settings.
Furnace Heating Problem Diagnosis, Repair, Replacement, Maintenance & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Centennial, Enterprise, Lone Mountain Village, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Peccole Ranch, Silverado Ranch, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Be sure to schedule your furnace tune-up and maintenance services now in addition to these considerations. When it comes to fully relying on it, your technician can ensure your heating system is ready. Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning offers quality services, no matter if you require maintenance, replacements, installations, or repairs in Las Vegas, NV and surrounding areas.