Before electricity was invented people used candles as a source of light once the sun went down each day. We are fortunate enough to live in a time where we can just flip on a light and be able to see everything in our home. Now we only use candles for light when our power is out or we are trying to set a romantic or relaxing tone in our home. Candles are used most often as a way to bring a pleasant scent into your home. As society has used candles to make their house smell divine the question has emerged about whether candles are a poor choice for a variety of different reasons. Today Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning is going to talk about some of the concerns that people have about using candles in your home.
Are Candles Toxic?
One of the largest problems with candles is that they may emit numerous types of potentially hazardous chemicals into the air inside your home. Benzene, toluene, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acrolein are among the most frequent carcinogenic toxins that can be released when burning a candle. Paraffin based candles are among the worst offenders on the market. The pollution from these candles get into your duct work of your home. The pollution that builds up in the duct work is not good for the indoor air quality of your home.
Fire Hazard & Property Damage from Candles
There are some basic safety concerns that come up with candles. Since candles are lit with an open flame there is a risk of a fire. Clearly no one wants to cause a house fire but if you are not careful it can happen to you. When candles get hot the wax melts inside the candle holder. If the wax is knocked over for any reason the melted wax could hurt whoever or whatever it lands on. In addition to lowering the indoor air quality of your home candles can also cause physical damage to your home. Frequent candle users have found that if they always leave their candle in the same spot that it can discolor the walls and ceilings around the space where the candle is burning. With excessive usage the candle can also discolor some of the contents of your home.
Candles & Respiratory Problems
Lighting candles in your home can cause some health problems as well. Normally these health problems are only a concern if you are lighting candles in a poorly ventilated space. If someone in your home suffers with asthma, allergies, and respiratory issues though lighting candles can cause their symptoms to increase. Some people find that they cannot be in a home or office where candles are being lit because of their health.
Central Air Conditioning Services & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
If you choose to light candles in your home it is important that you exercise caution to keep you and your family safe. Never leave a candle burning unattended. Keep the candles out of the reach of toddlers and young children. You will also want to make sure that you have Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning come out and clean your air ducts routinely to clean out any pollutants that may be building up.