Air conditioners are humming this time of year. We all want to be comfortable and know that we’re being energy efficient. There’s a lot of information on the internet when it comes to air conditioning. Some of it is useful, but some just isn’t true. Let’s debunk some misinformation to get the most out of our air conditioners.
Common Air Conditioning Myths
1. Your air conditioner is like a fan. A fan works by moving air in a room. It doesn’t cool the air like an air conditioner does. When air is moved across your skin, it cools you off even though the air in the room is not cooler. Many people believe that a fan will lower the temperature in a room, but this isn’t true. You can leave it running all day and it will not make the room cooler.
2. Closing the vents will save money. Closing off vents will not reduce the air being circulated throughout your house. In fact, the pressure load will be balanced in all the rooms and blocking a vent can negatively affect your HVAC system, causing it to work harder.
3. Your HVAC system is maintenance free. This simply is not true. Neglecting your HVAC system allows problems to go unnoticed. Small problems can be taken care of before they become bigger and more expensive problems. A maintenance program is the best thing you can do to prevent problems in the future.
4. Cranking the AC will cool you home faster. It doesn’t matter where you set the temperature on the thermostat, the system will work the same. Changing the temperature by a few degrees won’t speed things up either. For example, setting the thermostat to 90 will not get it to 70 any faster. The thermostat will get to 70 at the same time as it would if you originally set it to 70. You’re just wasting energy
5. Using your air conditioner in shorter spurts will save money. Most of the energy used in your AC system occurs in the first 3-5 minutes after it’s started and will then use less energy. Turning it off and on constantly is using more energy and costing more money. The best way to get the most out of it is to run it for 40-50 minutes each time you use it.
6. Newer, more efficient HVAC systems will save money. There is some truth to this statement. Yes, newer models are a great idea, but you need to make sure it’s the right size and the ductwork in your home is also a factor. The best step you can take before getting a new unit is to hire professional to determine the best solution for your home.
HVAC Services in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
We all want to get as much as we can out of our air conditioners as we can. If you need maintenance or are considering a new unit, contact Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning to answer any questions you might have. Give us a call today!