The heat and humidity of the summer can become overwhelming and we can’t imagine surviving it without air conditioning. As soon as we feel uncomfortable we turn on the AC. This will cost money and can be harmful to your health if it’s not maintained correctly. There are numerous ways to improve the air quality in your home. Air duct cleaning, repair and replacing failing parts to air purifiers and air filters to name a few. Air conditioning specialists can pinpoint the problem areas of your home and provide the best plan to address the concerns.
Fighting AC Health Problems with Air Duct Cleaning
Healthy home environments are those that are free from air contaminants that include cooking fumes and pet dander to dust particles. If your AC is running efficiently it can reduce the air contaminants in your home. Mold and mildew can start to grow in the indoor section of an air conditioning unit due to the condensation that forms as it runs all summer long. The best way to protect the air quality and personal well-being in our homes is to maintain clean units. Having the air ducts in your home cleaned once a year can go a long way to reduce health problems, especially if there is visible mold or buildup of dust. If you’ve had a recent renovation to your home it’s a good idea to have your air ducts cleaned. Changes made to remove asbestos or lead-based paint can cause unwanted debris to get stuck in the ductwork. Removing this debris ensures that dust and debris won’t end up getting circulated throughout the home.
Can Dirty AC Air Ducts Cause Poor Air Quality in the Home?
• AC units recirculate indoor air to save energy. This can have a negative impact on indoor air quality without a minimum of 15 cubic feet of outside makeup air per minute per person.
• If basic maintenance is ignored it makes the problem worse. Air filters need to changed regularly so airflow isn’t restricted.
• Dirty filters can’t stop allergens, pesticides and other irritants from getting into the house from outside.
How to Protect Yourself from Air Conditioning Pollution
1. Clean and/or change air filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Allow fresh air in as much as you can by opening windows to flush out pollutants.
3. Have an HVAC technician perform yearly maintenance on your unit.
4. Purchase a new AC unit every 10 years.
5. When sleeping or when the house is empty turn the temperature up or turn the unit off altogether.
6. Set your unit to the fan-only mode on the AC unit.
Central AC Repairs & Maintenance in Las Vegas, Summerlin, Paradise, North LV & Henderson Nevada
Poor air quality can harm your family. If you need help keeping your home free of contaminants or you need to have a maintenance check performed, contact Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning today.