Fire Hazard & Other Dangers of Space Heaters in The Lakes, NV & Why Central Fan Forced Heating is Best

The winters in Las Vegas are mild compared to other places in the country, which is why many prefer to live here. Well into fall, we consistently see sunny and warm temperatures. Compared to other places, our winter is mild and short. It can be described as wet and cold though we have a short winter if we see some rain. As a result, many homeowners prefer living here. Because of the briefness of the cold, and many homeowners looking to try and save energy, they often seek out the use of space heaters. Space heaters are a short term heating solution since they have quite a list of hazards. Today, we at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning would like to stress why space heaters should not be your primary source of central heating for your home.

Space Heaters Can Cause Fires when Placed Close to Flammable Material

Statistically, space heaters are responsible for 44% of home fires. Because the space heater was placed too close to flammable materials, a majority of those fires are started. Potentially leading lead to a space heater induced fire, are the carpeting, curtains, bedding, clothes, and blankets among others. You should keep it at least three feet away from anything that could be considered flammable, if you are going to use a space heater, this includes carpeting. You run the risk of starting a home fire when you operate your space heater on any carpeting. Practice extra diligence to make sure your family stays cozy and safe, if your home does get this cold during the winter.

Space Heater Can Trip Breaker or Blow Fuse

Space heaters need a lot of power, much like a furnace or HVAC system. Using a surge protected power strip, or a three-prong extension cord, it is incredibly easy to overload your circuits by plugging a space heater directly into the wall. You could blow a fuse or cause an electrical fire; in the event a space heater was to overload a circuit.

Space Heaters Cannot Be Left Unattended

An unattended space heater is one of the most stressful sight to see for those who know better. You may step away from your space heater, because as we all know, life happens, and you may need to leave the room for a spell. An unattended space heater is an accident waiting to happen, despite how hyper-vigilant anyone can be. These heat emitting appliances can be pushed, pulled, or knocked over far too easily, between children and pets. This is an additional, and often common way space heaters are dangerous. All that is seen is a tragic accident waiting to happen when we combine that with the threat of flammable materials.

Furnace Heating Repair, Replacement & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada

For your primary heating source, it is safer and more energy efficient to rely on your central heating. If you are in need of having your Las Vegas central heating system serviced, call Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning today!