It can be frustrating when your air conditioner blows hot air before you are ready to switch over to heat. Air conditioners are supposed to blow cold air, so what’s going on? Is the problem something you can do on your own or do you need professional help? The very first thing you need to check is to see if the thermostat is switched on cool. This seems silly but it can be switched without you realizing it. If you’ve checked and it’s set to cool, there are some reasons this may be happening.
Reasons Your AC May Be Blowing Hot or Warm Air
1. Breaker switch has been tripped. The AC unit for your home is just like any other appliance we just don’t think of it the same way because it’s unusual for a breaker to flip off during a surge of power. This is because of the AC’s electricity requirements but it can happen and this is the first thing you should check before looking at other possibilities. If you find that it has been tripped, then it’s an easy fix. All you need to do id flip it back on and you’re good to go.
2. Refrigerant is low. AC units need refrigerant in order to cool your home. If there is stress or damage to your AC unit, loose or cracked parts then refrigerant may be leaking out. It will be hard for you to figure out if this is happening because it’s not a leak that’s more obvious, like a water leak. Refrigerant leaks happen quickly. If you think this is happening you’ll need the help of professionals for an inspection and to top the refrigerant up.
3. Condenser coils are dirty. The condenser units job is to release heat to the outside. If the coil gets dirty it will impede the operation of the coils and the system will be unable to cool effectively and the AC will blow hot air.
4. AC is frozen. This seems like an odd reason for your AC to be blowing hot air but a frozen AC unit will do just that. If coils and other parts are frozen, the motor will still run and generate hot air that will be forced through the registers. The best way to keep your unit from freezing up is to avoid turning the thermostat down drastically when the outside temperature increases. Try and keep the temperature steady at about 72 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid freezing issues. If it does freeze up, then you’ll need to thaw it out by turning it off and waiting. It will take a couple of hours for the unit to completely thaw out.
5. AC filter needs to be changed. The filters of our AC unit are easy to neglect. These filters need to be monitored to make sure they are clean. If not, you may have a dirty filter that is causing your AC to malfunction. Dirty filters are inefficient and can make your AC stop working all together. It’s a good idea to change these filters monthly.
HVAC Services in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
We will soon be switching our central air conditioners to heat but if you need help before then with your air conditioner that’s blowing hot air, contact the professionals at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning to figure out what’s going on. We can handle all your HVAC related needs!