Local Las Vegans, especially seasoned residents have had to experience a slower start this season with the temperature rise; and though it was seemingly nice, the hot temperatures are officially controlling the valley. As a result, homeowners are cranking on the air conditioners to survive the 100-degree plus weather. When it comes to the air conditioner, noticing any short comings should solicit a call to a professional to minimize the deterioration and ensure the unit will last all summer. Today, we at Air Supply Heating & Air Conditioning would like to expound on the air conditioner that is short cycling.
What is Air Conditioner Short Cycling?
An anomaly known as short cycling, is when air conditioner switches on and only for a short time frame runs to the flip off, and then starts the whole process over again shortly thereafter. Though most do not even recognize the short cycling when it happens, those few that do often ignore the problem, not realizing the extent of the issue. Usually, short cycling indicates a problem that takes a trained expert to identify and execute appropriate solutions. Short cycling increases energy bills and the air conditioner takes a toll on the unit.
Why AC Cycles On & Off Every 10 Minutes
Common causes to short cycling: Usually, an air conditioner that is short cycling is due to the listed events below.
1) The air filters are overdue for a change or cleaning.
2) There is a frozen layer over the evaporator coils.
3) The air conditioner has low refrigerant.
4) A malfunctioning electrical system in the A/C unit.
5) The air conditioner is oversized for your home.
How to Repair AC Short Cycling
If you suspect short cycling, take the following steps below.
1) According to manufacturer, change or clean the air filter. Air filters are the simplest, yet most often overlooked maintenance for your HVAC system. Homeowners should change the air filter every 4-12 weeks, depending on the individual factors. You can find the right pattern for your air filters by checking them in 4 weeks from a fresh filter and every week inspect them until they are filled to capacity. Note the weeks and do this a few times in a row to confirm the weeks your unit’s filter need to be cleaned or replaced. People can expect to change the filters more frequently when there are several people living in the home, those with indoor pets, smokers, climate, and those who are sensitive to allergies and asthma attacks. Be sure to follow manufacturers’ directions on the type of filter; reusable filters can be cleaned; disposable filters should be replaced. When you notice the air conditioner short cycling, check the air filters first.
2) Contact a licensed HVAC contractor. Certified experts need to be called for other reasons the short cycling is occurring. Low refrigerant, oversized units, poor electrical systems, and frozen coils require a professional to rectify. If you notice that the coils are frozen, be sure to immediately switch off the cooling system from the thermostat before you call the pros to avoid further damage. The technician will run diagnostics, test the system, and inspect the unit to determine the steps in maximizing the performance.