Keeping the air quality in your home at its highest should be one of your top priorities when it comes to maintaining the safety and comfort of your family. While poor air quality can affect allergies and other respiratory issues, there is a more serious and deadly element that can harm your family and go completely undetected. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When individuals are exposed to carbon monoxide, the molecules will displace the oxygen in their bodies and lead to poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Effects
Carbon monoxides scariest characteristics are that it is invisible and odorless, so it cannot be seen or smelt. Dangerous concentrations of the gas can build up within your home and you and your family have no way of detecting that there is a problem until someone falls ill. However, the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning closely resemble those of the flu, so many people are fooled thinking they are experiencing the flu, rather than something that is much more serious and could potentially kill them. Five hundred people die from unintentional carbon monoxide exposure in the United States every year. What many home owners fail to realize is that simple precautions can be taken to avoid this deadly danger.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Causes
Carbon monoxide is produced whenever a material burns, which means homes that have a fuel burning appliances or attached garages are much more likely to experience issues with carbon monoxide. If your home has a furnace, boiler, gas stove or over, water heater, clothes dryer, wood stove, power generator, motor vehicles, power tools, lawn equipment or tobacco smoke present, then you and your family are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. There are many ways that you and your family could be exposed to carbon monoxide, so being proactive is essential to keeping you and your family safe.
Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems
Today there are many different types of carbon monoxide detection devices that you can install inside of your home. These alarms will alert you if there is a dangerous level of carbon monoxide present. The best option for you and your family is to call in a professional. Air Supply Heating and Air Conditioning is skilled and experienced in carbon monoxide detection. Our technicians will determine if your home is being exposed to any level of carbon monoxide and pinpoint the location that the dangerous gas is coming from. Contact Air Supply Heating and Air Conditioning today to keep you and your family from the harmful effects of carbon monoxide.